Friday, January 26, 2007

A really "crappy" day

What an exciting day we have had in the Folman household. For obvious reasons, which you will read about, there will be no photos involoved in this post. If you need to see a photo as you read, refer to the expression on Sophia's face in the photo below. It may express a fraction of how this day went.

So, here's the story. This morning started out with an immediate change of Caleb's clothing because he pooped through his pj's. We got that taken care of, the kids ate and Ben went to work. Then, around 10:45 it all happened. Sophia had a temper tantrum, ran into the bathroom, slammed the door and then I heard her playing with the lock. I heard her lock the door so I went over there to tell her to unlock it. She started trying and she couldn't get it. If you've never been to our apartment, it's got all this great old woodwork and glass door handles. Very pretty until you have a 3-year old locked in the bathroom. I had never realized this before but there is absolutely no way to unlock the door from the outside. I kept trying to get Sophia to do it and she couldn't so I ran down and asked my landlords if they knew a way to get it open. They came and looked at it and then called their locksmith friend.

In the meantime, I never explained what Sophia's temper tantrum was about. She kept getting a red face because she had to go to the bathroom but was saying she didn't have to go. I finally told her she had to go try and that's when she ran off. So, there Sophia is, locked in the bathroom, trying to open the door and not to go to the bathroom.

After a few minutes of trying to get Sophia to open the door, encouraging her to try to go potty, waiting for the locksmith guy and looking for other ways to get the door open, Sophia suddenly says, "oh no...I stepped in poop...OH NO, THERE'S POOP ALL OVER ME!!!" She says she doesn't even know what happened but I was starting to think about the mess we were going to find when we finally got the dumb door open.

Up until this point Sophia actually did pretty well. She didn't freak out or anything but now she wanted me to come in and clean her up. She started crying a little at first and then harder and harder. I called Ben back and asked if he could come home (he was working not too far away). I knew Caleb would be waking up soon and whenever we got her out of there we would have a mess to clean up and try to keep him out of.

The locksmith guy came at some point in here and started trying to get the door open but quickly saw that there was no way to do it but break the door. (I could have told him that and if they didn't do it quick I was ready to just call 911 and tell them I needed someone to come break the door in!) Sophia was screaming and crying really hard and Caleb was awake at this point. The guy had to use a sawzall to break the door frame, which Sophia really didn't like. Finally, Ben came in as the locksmith and our landlord were prying the door open through the busted up frame. As soon as the door opened the wonderful odor filled the whole hallway! She was locked in there for almost 40 minutes.

Ben cleaned Sophia up while I kept Caleb from eating paint chips and everyone finally calmed down, thankfully. Sophia calmed down pretty quickly after but each time I talk about it if I chuckle at all she immediately says, "That wasn't funny. Why are you laughing?"

One more thing to top off the morning, as if all that wasn't enough. As Ben was getting some lunch ready for everyone Caleb came in the room and Ben smelled his dirty diaper. He wanted to change him right away so I didn't have to - what a great husband. Well, a minute later I hear him screaming for me from Caleb's bedroom. Somehow the kid pooped through his entire outfit again! Seriously, everything he was wearing was covered. I ended up just giving him his second bath of the day!

Oh...the joys of parenting. I'm going to sleep now. It's been a long, long day.

4 comments:

the Stene's said...

Man oh man. I kept laughing harder and harder while reading this, to the point that I had tears and Isabelle kept wanting to know what was so funny. I am not sharing this one with her because I don't want to give her any ideas! I finally just told her that Sophia had a really bad day and she said, "Mom, then you shouldn't be laughing at her."

Team Davis said...

Okay, so Scott and I are laughing really hard! What a great story to tell the grandkids someday. I love that through it all, Sophia had to poop and then proceeded to in her pants with the toilet right next to her! That is definitely a classic worth telling over and over again. I'm glad you were able to laugh after it was all done. Thanks for posting so I could share your day.

Anonymous said...

Can we get some pictures of the damage?

annetta said...

LOL! I was laughing so hard! Wow. And they say parenting is glamorous! Reminds me of some of my Grace stories. Yep save em up and make sure to tell her prom date!